Residential Assessment Pilot Project
Carrboro homeowners are invited to participate in a pilot residential stormwater assessment project. The project's purpose is to support homeowners by providing no-cost professional assessments of potential stormwater, stream, and flood resilience-related improvements.
More information about the contractor providing the assessments is available here.
Applications will be accepted starting January 5, 2023. Click the link below to fill out the application online. If you would prefer to submit by regular mail, contact us and we'll send you an application.
If you have any questions, please contact Stormwater staff at 919 913-2999 or email@example.com.
- What is a residential stormwater assessment?
An assessment is technical advice given to a homeowner regarding possible solutions to flooding, drainage, erosion, or other stormwater or stream related concerns. It consists of an onsite consultation with the assessment provider and a detailed report/assessment customized to the property and owner’s interests.
- What are examples of stormwater concerns that could be addressed by the assessment?
Examples of Stormwater-Related Concerns
- Flooding resulting in property damage or health/safety concerns
- Other drainage issues (e.g., extended yard saturation)
- Eroding slopes or stream channels
- Stream buffers
- Water quality
- Who is eligible for having an assessment completed?
Single family residential property owners within the Town’s municipal limits are eligible.
- Will all who apply receive an assessment?
It depends on the number of applications received. If more applications are received than the project can support, applications will be ranked based on the subwatershed/location, the magnitude of the stormwater issue, racial and social equity, and other potential selection criteria.
- How do I apply?
There are many ways to apply!
- Apply online.
- *Call 919-913-2999 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy of the application.
- *Pick up an application at Town Hall (301 W. Main Street).
*Hard copy applications should be mailed to the following:
Town of Carrboro
Attn: Stormwater Division, Public Works Department
301 W. Main Street
Carrboro, NC 27510
- When are applications due?
Applications should be submitted as soon as possible; they will be screened, prioritized, and scheduled for assessment as they are received. Scheduling for assessments will begin in January and continue through the winter and early spring as capacity allows. Based on the volume of applications received, a firm deadline for receiving applications could be established as the project proceeds.
- What types of practices, measures, or improvements are within the scope of what the assessor may recommend? What is outside the scope?
Within the Scope of the Assessment
- Green stormwater infrastructure such as rain gardens and bioswales.
- Impervious surface reduction or disconnection (dispersing rather than concentrating flow)
- Swale or ditch repairs
- Rainwater harvesting (cisterns and rain barrels)
- Vegetation additions or adaptations
- Building or mechanical system elevation adaptations
- A conceptual plan and assessment
Outside the Scope of the Assessment
- Recommending specific contractors
- More detailed design/engineering plans
- Project cost estimations
- Other project procurement or management assistance
- If my application is chosen, what is expected of me?
The only requirement for the participant beyond completing the application and participating in the onsite assessment is filling out a survey to assist the Town in evaluating the success of the project and providing guidance for future program development. Having an assessment does not mean that the homeowner is required to follow through with the advised recommendations.
- When will I know if my application was chosen?
Applicants will be contacted within several weeks of the receipt of the application. They may also call 919-913-2999 or email email@example.com for information and updates.
- Can I withdraw my application?
Yes. An application can be withdrawn at any time by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 919-913-2999.
- When will the assessments take place?
Assessments will take place between January and May of 2023. The technical assessment provider will contact the applicant to schedule a time for the on-site visit.
- Who will be providing the assessments?
Michael Dupree, an independent contractor, will be providing the assessments. He has extensive experience in stormwater and community outreach in Durham County and across North Carolina. He has been providing landscape, irrigation, stormwater and stream related consultation, and design services for Triangle residents since 1989.
- Will this be offered in the future?
Maybe. This is a pilot project intended to guide future efforts.