Rogers Road Neighborhood Zoning Initiative Meeting
A meeting is being held this tonight from 6:30 to 8 pm at RENA Community Center, 101 Edgar Drive in Chapel Hill to discuss recommendations for new zoning standards for the Rogers Road community identified in the 2016 Mapping our Community's Future report.
The Towns of Chapel Hill and Carrboro have partnered on a project to establish a zoning framework for the Rogers Road community that reflects the interests of the community and implements the recommendations of Rogers Road: Mapping Our Community’s Future. The zoning standards for the Rogers Road community should encourage a type and pattern of development that fits into its surrounding context and that also provides new opportunities for the community such as jobs, services and housing.
In a review of planning efforts to date, an initial set of interests have been identified that may be accomplished through zoning, which include:
- Identify access and infrastructure needs associated with development which can be met through zoning standards
- Allow home occupations and identify appropriate criteria/restrictions for them, which may vary within the community (eg based on lot size)
- Determine appropriate strategies for making new housing compatible with existing housing, eg by regulating house size
- Ensure that land area zoned for commercial/mixed use is sized for the amount of development the community can support (to be informed by market analysis)
- Ensure that property zoned for commercial/mixed use can accommodate a variety of uses that are appropriate to the community, which may include flex or maker space, civic functions, health facilities, arts and culture, etc.
- Incorporate measures that preserve the heritage and character of the community
- Create standards for both jurisdictions (Carrboro and Chapel Hill) that follow a similar framework and allow consistency throughout the Rogers Road community
- Create standards that are consistent with each jurisdiction’s larger zoning framework, and/or clearly communicate how the new zoning diverges from approaches taken in other parts of Chapel Hill and Carrboro
- Other interests as defined by members of the Rogers Road community